Tahiri is a famous desi main course in Karachi. It is mostly homemade. Tahiri is a yellow coloured vegetarian rice which has different veggies or only potato. It has less spices but spices are aromatic. It is delicious when it has raita by its side. It is a great dish to have it in any season.
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 3-4 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 4 cups water
- In a large pot, heat oil and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Add cumin seeds, green cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. Fry for a minute or two.
- Add the cubed potatoes and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add the soaked rice and mix gently with the masala.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook on low heat for about 20-25 minutes, or until the rice and potatoes are cooked through and all the water is absorbed.
- Once the tahri is cooked, turn off the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes before opening the lid.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve hot with raita or salad.
Enjoy your delicious Tahri!
Where to Eat or Drink
We are Open for everyone! if you are serving this food in your restaurant or cafe, and you are interested to advertise your restaurant or cafe, do contact us at email@example.com
Leave A Comment