Shahi Tukray is a part of every gathering and occasion in Karachi. Shahi Tukray means Royal Pieces and yes they are royal pieces of fried bread soaked in milk. Milk is cooked in such a way that it becomes rich and flavourful. Sometimes, custard of different falvours are used instead of milk. It is garnished with pistachios and almonds. It is served cold. Shahi Tukray can easily be made at home.
- 8-10 slices of white bread
- 1 litre of whole milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of ghee or clarified butter
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup of sliced pistachios
- 1/4 cup of chopped cashews
- 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp of saffron strands
- 1 tsp of rose water
- Silver leaf (optional)
- Remove the edges of the bread slices and cut them into halves or quarters.
- Heat the ghee in a pan over medium heat and fry the bread slices until they turn golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the milk, sugar, cardamom powder, saffron strands and rose water. Stir well and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the milk mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and reduces by about one-third.
- Take the milk mixture off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Arrange the fried bread slices in a deep dish and pour the thickened milk mixture over them. Let the bread slices soak in the milk mixture for about 30 minutes.
- Garnish the Shahi Tukray with sliced almonds, pistachios, cashews and silver leaf (if using).
- Serve warm or chilled.
Enjoy your delicious Shahi Tukray!
Where to Eat or Drink
We are Open for everyone! if you are serving this food in your restaurant or cafe, and you are interested to advertise your restaurant or cafe, do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave A Comment