Rasgulla is a Pakistani sweet treat which is purely white and syrupy. Rasgulla is made from curdling the milk until chena is formed. Chena is known as cottage cheese in our desi language. When chena is formed, its shaped into balls and cooked in sugar syrup till it becomes spongy and sweet. Rasgulla is served with its syrup. Bakeries and sweet shops of Karachi definitely have Rasgulla on their menu and you can not miss it.
- 4 cups of full-fat milk
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 cups of water
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp of rose water (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the milk over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the lemon juice to the milk, stirring constantly.
- The milk will curdle and the whey (the watery part) will separate from the curdled milk (the solid part).
- Once the milk has completely curdled, turn off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and strain the curdled milk through the cheesecloth.
- Rinse the chenna (cottage cheese) under cold running water to remove any lemon flavor.
- Squeeze out any excess water from the chenna and transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Knead the chenna for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes smooth and soft.
- Divide the chenna into small balls about the size of a golf ball.
- In a large pot, combine the sugar, water, and cardamom pods over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Bring the sugar syrup to a boil and add the chenna balls to the pot.
- Cover the pot and let the chenna balls cook in the syrup for 10-12 minutes or until they have doubled in size.
- Turn off the heat and let the rasgulla cool to room temperature in the sugar syrup.
- Add the rose water to the syrup and stir gently.
- Chill the rasgulla in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
Enjoy your delicious homemade rasgulla! You can also serve them with some extra sugar syrup or garnish them with chopped nuts.
Where to Eat or Drink
We are Open for everyone! if you are serving this food in your restaurant or cafe, and you are interested to advertise your restaurant or cafe, do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave A Comment