As Lahore’s culture is rich in breakfast, another nashta adds up in the list which is Nihari. Karachi itself has Nihari house and people can not resist the nihari served there. Nihari is derived from urdu word nihar which means Morning. Its eaten in breakfast as its heavy and needs time to digest. It has a thick and velvety texture as flour is added in the stew. Meat is slowly cooked and aromatic spices are added in it. Naan is served with nihari in Pakistan.
- 1 kg beef or lamb shank
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup flour, mixed with water to make a paste
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, chopped
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large pot, heat ghee or oil over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook until they are brown and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic paste to the pot and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Stir well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add beef or lamb shank to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water to the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 4-5 hours or until the meat is tender and falls off the bone.
- Remove the meat from the pot and shred it using a fork.
- Add the flour paste to the pot and stir well to combine. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the broth thickens.
- Add shredded meat to the pot and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and green chilies.
- Serve hot with naan bread or kulcha, and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy your delicious Nihari!
Where to Eat or Drink
We are Open for everyone! if you are serving this food in your restaurant or cafe, and you are interested to advertise your restaurant or cafe, do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave A Comment