Dalcha (Daal gosht)
Dalcha is a mouthwatering combination of daal (Lentils) and gosht (meat). Vegetables can also be added in dalcha. Loki (bottle gourd) is mainly used as vegetable in dalcha. It is a famous dish of Karachi and is available in restaurants and cooked in homes as well. Dalcha is served with rice or naan. All spices are sprinkled on top to enhance the taste.
- 1 lb lamb or mutton, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup chana dal (split chickpeas), soaked for 2-3 hours
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a deep pan or pressure cooker over medium-high heat.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, and coriander seeds. Let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté until they are soft and pulpy.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the meat to the pan and mix well. Sauté for a few minutes until the meat is browned.
- Add the soaked chana dal and mix well.
- Add enough water to cover the dal and meat and mix well.
- If using a pressure cooker, close the lid and cook for 4-5 whistles or until the meat and dal are tender. If using a pan, cover with a lid and cook on low heat until the meat and dal are tender.
- Once the meat and dal are cooked, use a hand blender or a spoon to mash the dal to a smooth consistency.
- Add the green chilies to the pan and mix well.
- Let the dal simmer for a few more minutes until the gravy has thickened.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Your delicious Dalcha is ready to serve! Serve hot with rice or roti.
Where to Eat or Drink
We are Open for everyone! if you are serving this food in your restaurant or cafe, and you are interested to advertise your restaurant or cafe, do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave A Comment