- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water a little at a time, mixing until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently for a few seconds until it is smooth.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle that is about 1/4 inch thick. Fold the bottom third of the dough up over the middle third, then fold the top third down over the middle. This is the first “turn”.
- Turn the dough so that the open ends are facing you and roll it out into a rectangle again. Repeat the folding process for the second “turn”.
- Repeat this process two more times for a total of four turns.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before using.
Your puff pastry is now ready to be used in a variety of recipes, such as turnovers, tarts, and pastries.