Sohan Halwa is a traditional dessert that is a speciality of Multan and Dera Ismail Khan. Sohan Halwa is different from other halwa as it is solid and circular in shape. It is made from corn flour, milk, sugar and nuts. It is boiled until the mixture solidifies. Desi ghee has prominent taste in it. Sohan Halwa is taken as gift for family members from Multan to different cities of Pakistan.
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1/2 cup pistachios, sliced
- Grease a square baking dish or tray with ghee and set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pan or wok, mix cornflour with 1/2 cup of water until it forms a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining water and milk to the pan and mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- In another pan, heat ghee over medium heat. Add saffron threads to the pan and fry for a few seconds.
- Add sugar to the pan and cook until it dissolves and forms a syrup.
- Add the cornflour mixture to the syrup and mix well. Cook for another 10-12 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens even more and starts to form a ball.
- Add sliced almonds and pistachios to the pan and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish or tray and spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Let the Sohan Halwa cool down for a few minutes, then sprinkle more sliced nuts on top.
- Let the halwa cool down completely and set for a few hours before cutting it into pieces.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious Sohan Halwa!
Note: This recipe can make a large batch, so you can adjust the quantities accordingly if you want to make a smaller amount.
Where to Eat or Drink
We are Open for everyone! if you are serving this food in your restaurant or cafe, and you are interested to advertise your restaurant or cafe, do contact us at email@example.com
Leave A Comment